The first tee is an initiative to help children who drop out high school before they finish. The First Tee programs provide life skills education and expose young people to core values. It’s wonderful way to introduce golf to people who wouldn’t get in touch with the game.
Healthy and Positive Youth Development Programs
Junior Golf Lessons and So Much More
In addition to learning fundamentals of the golf swing and the game, our character education and life skills programs help kids and teens prepare for success at school, at home and in their community.
Our Junior Golf & Life Skills Curriculum Focuses on:
- How to manage emotions
- How to set goals
- How to resolve conflicts
- How to communicate with others
The First Tee Nine Core Values
|Learn More »|
The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits
|Learn More »|
The First Tee Code of Conduct
Respect for Myself
- I will dress neatly and wear golf or athletic shoes.
- I will always try my best when I play or practice.
- I will keep a positive attitude and catch myself doing something right regardless of the outcome.
- I will be physically active, eat well, get enough sleep and take care of myself so I can stay healthy.
- I will be honest at all times, including when I keep score and if I break a rule.
- I will use proper etiquette and maintain my composure even when others may not be watching.
Respect for Others
- I will follow all instructions and safety rules.
- I will keep up with the pace of play on the golf course.
- I will be friendly, courteous and helpful.
- I will remain still and quiet while others are playing and have fun without being loud and rowdy.
- I will be a good sport toward others whether I win or lose.
Respect for my Surroundings
- I will keep the golf course and practice areas clean and in as good or better shape than I found them.
- I will clean and take care of my and others’ golf equipment.
- I will be careful not to damage anything that belongs to others.
Youth Development Research Validates
Independent research confirms the youth development programs delivered through The First Tee’s chapters instill life skills and core values in youth participants. Highlights from the study include:
- Participants unanimously identified school as a setting in which they transferred life skills.
- 73% reported high confidence in their ability to do well academically.
- 82% felt confident in their social skills with peers.
- 57% credited The First Tee for their meeting and greeting skills.
- 52% credited the program for their ability to appreciate diversity.
The First Tee’s goal is to provide character education and life skills programs to help young people be successful in school and in life.